Wednesday, October 25, 2006

FAQ

Why do you publish posts that are nothing but screen captures from Zardoz?

I'm fascinated by the visual. I choose a black background because images would look good against it, even though I knew it would make the text harder to read. But I've been putting off the replacement of the copy of Photoshop that died with my old computer ever since this blog began -- time and money, you know? -- and I don't have a scanner or drawing tools, and I don't want to copy images from elsewhere on the web. That leaves the screen images I capture with my gizmo for turning VHS tapes into DVDs.

Screen captures especially fascinate me. The first images -- Lost Highway, Apocalypse Now, the Sailor Moon series in its amusing DiC incarnation -- were just images left over from making old menus, but I liked posting them enough to start accumulating images with posting in mind. I've always meant to write about these movies and use the images as illustrations, especially Pierrot le Fou and Lost Highway, but the images are also interesting by themselves. Screen caps embody narrativity, haunt the imagination with their phantom contexts. I chose Pierrot le Fou and Zardoz for how many good images they seemed likely to reveal. Looking for these is the visual equivalent of close reading, and gave me many of the ideas I want to write about.

Many games can be played. For example, the first three Zardoz images were chosen to give the movie a science-fiction sleekness it doesn't really have (and to show the principles, Charlotte Rampling, Sara Kestelman, and Sean Connery), but then -- when I had the idea a few days ago of Halloween-themed posting -- I looked for images that made it look like a horror movie (displaying some of its better visual qualities in the process). I enjoy it, and thought you might too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home