Monday, October 23, 2006

Random Question

What did you dream when you ate a spider while sleeping?

Candy from a Spider

Eagerly, I emptied my trick or treat bag on the kitchen table. Some of the candy moved -- candy worms inching, candy bugs scurrying, candy bats circling my head. Others performed in place -- laughing candy gremlins, candy fireflies flashing colors to go with their flavors, candy pumpkins that expanded in the fresh air.

A candy spider lept from the bag to the tabletop to the wall. When it found a nice clean corner, the spider would spin candy webs until it was empty. Those were the best.

I caught a candy bat with my thumb and forefinger and placed it on my outstretched tongue. The bats would be beautiful in the holo, but up close they were just noisy blurs that threatened to get stuck in my hair.

I smiled at Mom's aircam, which had followed me all night.

The spider had finished a web. I leaned over and wound it up with a finger, careful to leave the spider. As I sucked on it, sweetness sparkled in my mouth like candles of flavor in a dark cave.

More candy struggled out of the pile to show off. Dancing candy mushrooms, jumping candy toads, a candy preying mantis that caught other candy so that they hopped around inside its transparent body.

A second web was done. Absently, I pulled it loose and savored it.

Still more candy appeared. Candy ghosts, drifting wisps of vapor with cartoon eyes. Hooting candy owls, slinking candy black cats. It was tempting, but I knew better than to eat too much. Besides, it seemed a waste to eat it now instead of later when it had all run down.

When I sucked on the third web, something crunched in my mouth. The spider. I hadn't been paying attention. The spider was edible, but I felt a pang of loss at the thought of all the webs that I would now never eat.

A bad taste spread from the crunchy bits of spider. Chemicals for making the webs? I was puzzled, then alarmed. It almost tasted like a real --

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home