Thursday, August 10, 2006

Unscheduled Outage

We are experiencing technical difficulties. First, a box said my floppy disk was full. I opened the file with all my drafts and notes for future posts to see if it was okay. It was, but when I closed it again everything except the first twenty lines or so got eaten. Ouish!

I fell into bed, knocked out. By the time I had recovered sufficiently to think of copying the other files, the disk wouldn't open at all. It was unformatted, the box said. Had I lost the whole thing?

I started a new disk, but soon that was even worse. The evil box claimed the disk wasn't there at all, that the drive was empty. That allowed me to hope that the first disk was recoverable, since the drive, not the disk, was at least part of the problem. In this new frame of mind, it occurred to me that I could save my work on the hard drive, something I'd gotten out of the habit of doing years ago. We now resume our regular scheduled programming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home